Thursday, August 28, 2008
Here's how the test goes (sorry to those who are slightly squeamish):
I have to fast (not eat) for 8 to 12 hours before the test
I get to the lab and they draw blood for a baseline blood glucose level
I drink 10 ounces of lemon-lime flavored sugar syrup (it tastes like Sprite or 7-Up with carbonation) within five minutes
For the next three hours, I get my blood drawn every hour on the hour
In the past, I've had issues with having my blood drawn. Not because I'm squeamish and hate having my blood drawn, but I think it's because my body keeps the lowest level of blood necessary to keep me conscious. Any loss of blood, and I'm fading to black. And now, I've got low blood sugar because I've been fasting and they are taking blood like it's going out of style? It's a miracle that I didn't pass out today.
Hopefully, my results from this test will show that I do not have gestational diabetes. I really don't want to have to deal with that. That would bite. To have an uneventful pregnancy up to now and then to get diagnosed with that?
Monday, August 25, 2008
That's my friend Karl giving Becca the bunny ears.
Since then, I've had to get a maternity support brace for my back because my belly's getting so big. Putting this thing on is like strapping in for a parachute jump!
Ben has been feeling the baby move now for about a week. She kicks and punches and he always seems amazed at how hard she's doing it. I keep telling him, it's always felt like this, there's just less cushion between her and the outside world now!
BTW, I'm experiencing fewer of the contractions lately. Who knows why, but they just seem to happen less. Everything else is going well, though.
1. Do you like blue cheese? Yes (but haven't had any since February)
2. Have you ever smoked? Yes, briefly in college I lost my mind and inhaled smoke into my lungs
3. Do you own a gun? Technically, yes, my husband and I own some guns
4. What flavor Kool-Aid was your favorite? cherry
5. Do you get nervous before doctors appointments? Nope
6. What do you think of hot dogs? I don't think of them often... but they generally taste good with Boston Baked Beans
7. What is your favorite Christmas movie? The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (cartoon version)
8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning? non-pregnant - coffee with loads of cream and sugar, pregnant - apple juice washes down the ginormous prenatal vitamin pretty well
9. Can you do push ups? I think I can do one traditional push-up, five "girly" push-ups
10. What's your favorite piece of jewelry? my wedding ring set (hubby did a great job picking it out!)
11. Favorite hobby? reading, singing (they are tied)
12. Do you have A.D.D.? yes, I was diagnosed at 23, medications don't work for me though, what was the question?
13. What's one trait you hate about yourself? I tend to be lazy
14. Middle name? McCarthy
15. Name 3 thoughts at this exact moment? my back hurts, what colors will my sister and I pick out for the baby's room, wonder what the baby will look like?
16. Name 3 drinks you regularly drink? apple juice, water, sprite/7-up
17. Current worry? Am I doing everything I can to make sure this baby will be healthy and happy?
18. Current Hate right now? Hate's a strong word... although I do often say "I hate stupid people!!"
19. Favorite place to be? On a cruise
20. How did you bring in the New Year? with family and friends
21. Where would you like to go? Scotland, Ireland, France
22. Name three people who will complete this? I tag anyone who reads this.
23. Do you own slippers? Yes
24. What color shirt are you wearing right now? White
25. Do you like sleeping on satin sheets? never have
26.. Can you whistle? yup, not very good at it though
27. Favorite color? blue
28. Would you be a pirate? I'd be a space pirate! Arrrr, beam me yur booty!
29. What songs do you sing in the shower? whatever is playing on my mp3 player
30. Favorite girls name? Rebecca
31. Favorite boy's name? William Henry
32. What's in your pocket right now? nothing
33. Last thing that made you laugh? Bobbie, our receptionist
34 Best bed sheets as a child? I had Rainbow Brite sheets
35. Worst injury you've ever had? broken thumb and tooth (from a bus accident as a kid)
36. Do you love where you live? YES
37. How many TV's do you have in your house? 5 (but only three are used on a regular basis)
38. Who is your loudest friend? Karl and Ben are tied (I can always find them at the store, especially if they're talking to one another) :)
39. How many dogs do you have? 0
40. Does someone have a crush on you? Not that I know of
41. What is your favorite book? "Where the Red Fern Grows"
42. What is your favorite candy? Depends on my mood... sometimes I like licorice, sometimes I want chocolate, so I'd say Good-n-Plenty, Snickers, Charleston Chew
43. Favorite Sports Team? St. Louis Rams
44. What song do you want played at your funeral? Amazing Grace- on the bagpipes
No this isn't a baby bump post, but I'll get a pic up soon, I swear!
Tuesday, August 05, 2008
No new picture tonight, Ben is out bowling and I'll be asleep by the time he gets home. I will try and post a new pic by the end of the week, though.
I do have a new update on pregnancy stuff, though. I have been experiencing Braxton-Hicks contractions periodically. Braxton-Hicks are contractions that go throughout a woman's pregnancy prepping her muscles for birth. The contractions don't hurt, it just gets kinda tight in my lower abdomen area. I tend to get them when I push myself too hard, so I've been trying to take it easy and that seems to help.
Baby Girl B. is kicking and punching much more regularly now. Anytime I'm seated or laying down for a few minutes or more, she begins her routine. *Punch Mommy here, kick Mommy there, another kick here for good measure...*
It's only going to be a couple more weeks before other people will be able to feel the movements. My doc says it'll happen around 30 weeks, but these kicks and movements are getting strong enough that if I watch my belly for a while, I can see them happening. So, I think Ben will be feeling her move very soon. Most nights, I keep taking his hand and putting it on my belly to see if he feels anything, but he never does. It amazes me cuz it feels like his daughter is just tearing it up in there. Like the ultrasound tech said, she's either going to be a volleyball player (because of her height and constant motion) or a soccer player.