Thursday, July 03, 2008

Komen Race for the Cure 2008

I participated in the Komen St. Louis race for the Cure again this year. But this year, I was walking with a more personal purpose! This January, my friend, Mellisa, was diagnosed with breast cancer. She recently completed her eight rounds of chemo, and she'll begin her radiation therapy any day now. I am so proud of her during this incredibly difficult time. She has maintained a very positive attitude and a good sense of humor throughout the process.

Here are some pictures from this year's "Race." (I didn't run... big surprise right?)


Me, Jill, Jessica (my sister), Lisa, Cynthia, Jenae, Karen, Brock (in a "Save the Ta-ta's"), and Brock's mom (can't remember her name)


Ben and me


The crowd ahead of us


The crowd behind us


My sign for Mellisa! It said "I race in celebration of Mellisa D. Mellisa: 8 rounds Chemo: 0"

You can't see my hat, but it said "FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION." I know that Mellisa will appreciate that! ;)

Those of us in the green shirts were promoting vitamin D and the connection with breast cancer and cancers in general. My sister, her hubby and their co-worker Jill all wore signs that gave information about vitamin D. We even had a few women ask us about it! If you're curious about the links between low vitamin D and breast cancer, go see the Vitamin D Council website.

1 comment:

Shennie said...

I am SO proud of you. Extra hugs!