Friday, November 18, 2005

More kidney stuff

So, Ben and I have decided that the donation is worth doing. Now, I just have to talk with my mom and dad and see what they have to say. My sister Jessica is all for me doing it, as long as I can get my aunt to quit smoking. Which I think is not a bad idea. I wonder if the transplant doctors require quitting as part of their regimen?? It would be nice to get them involved in getting her to quit too. The way I see it is... I've kept this kidney in good shape for over 28 years now, almost 29 years (if you count my time in utero). I don't think it would be unfair to ask her to continue taking good care of it.

Is that wrong to ask that? I mean, technically, I am donating, so does that mean I can conditionally donate? Philosophers, help me out here....

4 comments:

Bob Williams said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bob Williams said...

Yes having her quit as part of the condition is a good idea. Your right to say that you've taken care of it, she should also. Because if all she is going to do is destroy the life your giving her, then what is the point of giving it.

I don't know your aunt so I don't really know her reaction (plus being the pessimist I am), if this was my dad he would say "you can take the kidney and shove it". So don't be offended if this happens. Smoking is an addiction, just like any other drug and their reactions are often based in the addiction. Your request to have her quit smoking is a honest one.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you're asking too much of her Jennie. She can do it. And you shouldn't give her something that she is just going to destroy after you've taken time out of your life to do this for her. The least she can do is promise to take take of this part of you that you are so willing to give to her.
If it gets down to me, I know that will be a requirement. Not an option.

Anonymous said...

And yes, I know that is harsh. But I love her too. And if all I'm going to be doing in giving something so willingly, just to prolong her suffering from her addiction, then I'd rather not be the one to do it and lose part of me with her.